Sunday, April 13, 2008
Chapter 4 Text + Image of David Crow’s Book Visible Signs.
is by far my favorite chapter. It correlates with a project that I have been planning, which involves black and white photography, painted text, and music. I want to find a common meaning in each ‘digital’ codes as Roland Barthes would describes them as “Paradigms where each of the units in the set are clearly different from each other. [As we saw in chapter 2 the two basic characteristics of a paradigm are that the units in the set have something in common and each unit is obviously different from the others in the set.]”. This chapter really helped in narrowing down the messages, and the communication involved within an advertisement. As far as my project goes, the section describing ‘RELAY’ helped a lot. Photography and Text are pretty much set in the work, the key is incorporating music into those other digital codes. I’m hoping the text acts as a Anchorage, and the music is the RELAY function which will be “supplying meanings which are not to be found in the images themselves, as in film dialogue”.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have always been interested in the rhythm that exists in art, its lie there is music in the art. i 've seen artist exploring that, the main thing that comes to mind is painters painting to the rhythm of music, stroking the canvas to the beat of the music playing. It gives it an extra level of interaction.
Post a Comment