Monday, June 16, 2008

I'll Have That Typeface on the Menu


BURKE / TRIOLO PRODUCTIONS / BRAND X / CORBIS

So the past week my relatives have been bugging me about redoing the menu for them. They own several fast food restaurants. I have done many phases of development for the menu, but nothing quite seem right. So i gave them back their menu and said "its fine the way it is". As designers, you do what feels right, this incident was one of many for me.

Today i read an article in TIME about fonts in restaurant menus

"In a paper that will appear in the October issue of Psychological Science, Hyunjin Song and Norbert Schwarz suggest that small changes in menu fonts can significantly alter people's perceptions of dishes' complexity and value."

I chose many different fonts to convey the feel of the fast food restaurant, but it became pretentious. My relative's restaurant is cheap and right to the point. That is why the feel of it was just right with what they originally did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Stuff!!!
I guess I have to go out more to notice Typefaces on Menus!

Phillip Lee said...

you should write a blog! yes you! =p

Anonymous said...

I never paid attention to the fonts used in menues. Image is the strongest for me and I think it sells the food or dish better than the type. The good photo of a dish brings apetite to the buyers (especially if they are hungry) and they see what their food looks like.